Sunday, September 30, 2007

What’s the rush?

One thing that I have learned here in Istanbul is that Americans generally have a need to GET THINGS DONE. There’s nothing wrong with this, and if I’m being honest here, then yes, I did bring my “TO-DO” notepad from home and yes, there are currently 4 different lists tacked on my desk of things I need to accomplish this week. We are obsessed with scheduling, prioritizing, and setting time aside for things. I, for one, have a lot to do today, just like everyday. And just like everyday, I’m probably going to get it all done.

In Turkey, this is a somewhat absurd idea. Even in classes, people show up and leave as they please, and work gets done as you desire (not as written on the syllabus). One of my roommates showed up the day before classes began instead of a week early like everyone else, and others didn’t get in until Wednesday (classes started Monday). No big deal. There is no rush. The Turks don’t seem to mind lazing around in the afternoon, getting nothing done – a concept that is still quite foreign to me – but lest I forget it, I will continuously be reminded that I’m the weird one.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I know exactly what you mean.
It's been a real struggle for me to relax and just go with the flow here and not stick to my schedule. I think it's a good thing for me. haha